Friday, 17 April 2015

Evaluation Q2 type up


Evaluation Q2 type up

One of the main targets throughout my products was to keep an overall brand identity between my music video, advert, and digipak. I have used various methods in order to do this and I feel that they work effectively.  One theme I use throughout my products is the use of dark colours which aims to link my products to one another. This colour scheme allows my products to represent one another and link them to the name of the song “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” which appears on all of my products. I feel that the colour scheme and the song title link together well as the song itself relates to being alone, a feeling which many people may link to darker colours as they are often perceived as representing sorrow and other such feelings. The main colours that I use in my products are usually black, various shades of grey and white, and these can be seen as the main colours in all of my products with the exception of my music video, as I feel that a fully black and white video would not be suitable when compared to the finished product which involves colour outside of my main colour scheme. The dark colour scheme is still present in the costume of the two protagonists however as they both wear clothing that is mainly black, which links these two characters with the overall theme of my products and also gives audiences a clue as to how the protagonists portray the emotional style of the music video. This is shown mainly in the sequence which involves a flashback, as it demonstrates a change in colour when compared to the rest of the video which is set in the present. In the flashback we see the costume of the two characters change from mainly black to various other colours such as blue worn by the male, and brown worn by the female. With a change of lighting during the flash back sequence I have been able to make the alternate colours stand out more to those watching it, with the brighter colours representing happier times for the two characters while they are in a relationship together. I feel that with the contrast in colours used in relation two costume, background and lighting I have been able to effectively link all of my products together in order to create the brand identity I aimed to establish when creating my music video, advert and digipak.

 

One thing that I also found important to use in my music video was the setting and background. When planning my music video I decided that it would be best to set it in locations which were in the countryside, which would allow me to use wide open spaces such as fields, were darker lighting and weather can combine to create a darker atmosphere which I feel relates more suitably to my video, as well as giving it another way to combine with brand identity when used with the dark colour scheme. One common feature of the background I found suitable to use in my video was the use of bushes that are dying and have lost leaves. This is an image that I have used as a metaphor in my music video as the bushes represent how the relationship of the two protagonists has withered and died. These bushes are also images that I have used in my advert and digipak in order to help the three have a clearer connection. With the advert in particular I have merged the image of dying bushes with an image of the male protagonist as he faces away from the camera. I feel that this image is necessary as it helps to summarise the themes of the video while being more visually appealing in its artistic style, something which I hope is more eye catching for audiences and will help draw them to watch my video.

 

The narrative of my music video was of high importance and I believe that using the images I selected on my advert and digipak helped to show viewers what the main idea for my video’s narrative could be, as they portray the ideas of loneliness, something which I was eager to emphasise as it relates to the overall theme of the song “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” The images I have used on both my advert and digipak show only the male protagonist in various locations, with the most obvious examples being present on my digipak. On the digipak I show images of multiple empty locations that were taken while out filming the music video, therefore giving a link to the music video with the background. In my music video I chose to shoot in locations where there were no other people present, meaning that there are only two people shown in the video and they’re both alone for most of the videos duration, giving a better sense that they’re both alone, with this being reflected in my other texts that I use in helping to develop a brand identity.

 

My use of images of the protagonists from my music video in the advert and digipak are good examples of how I have contained the narrative of the video to these two people alone, with the male protagonist being the main feature of these as I attempt to integrate star power into my products. In the music video I show various close ups of the two protagonists which is a common theme in the alternative rock genre, meaning that this feature would hopefully have an appeal to fans of alternative rock that may be viewing my video. In the video I show the male lip synching with the lyrics of the song at multiple points, giving the impression that he is the songs artist in this situation. This therefore lead me to use the male protagonists image on both my advert and digipak front cover as this too is a convention in adverts and digipaks in alternative rock as they help to advertise the product to potential audiences, as star image on advertising material let the audience know which artist the product is by.

No comments:

Post a Comment