This is Izzy King, a 19 year old art student and a fan of the alternative rock music genre. In order to gain a better understanding of what people look for in an alternative rock
![]() |
product I have had an interview with her in order to get some in depth feedback. My target audience for my music video will be people aged 16 to 20 so her opinions will be helpful for developing my ideas to appeal to this particular age group. I began the interview by asking her if she likes Greenday and their song Boulevard of Broken Dreams, to which she said she does. We then went on to talk about genre conventions in alternative rock and what she enjoys most. Below are some relevant parts of the interview that took place.
Q: "What do you like most about the alternative rock genre?"
A: "I just like how there are lots of different styles in the genre, I really like the variety"
Q: "What do you like about the song 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams'?"
A: "I like how it tries to tell a story. I think it's lyrics give a strong message of being alone and having nobody there for you, that's something everyone can relate to at some point so that's something I like about it, it's also one of those songs that could have different meanings for different people on an emotional level which I think is another good thing about it"
Q: "What features would you like to see in my music video based on the song"
A: "I think it would be interesting to see your own take on it. I know the original music video for the song doesn't have much of a story to it so I think a version with a narrative to it could be a good idea"
Q: "What do you look for in an alternative rock music video?"
A: "As i said before I think telling a story is important because it makes a music video more interesting, especially with alternative rock. I also think showing off the artists in the song is a good thing, especially if you're a fan of the artist"
Q: "Why do you watch music videos?"
A: "I mainly watch them when i'm relaxing because listening to music helps me do that. If i ever hear a song and find it interesting i'll sometimes look for the music video to the song too because they can be fun and interesting to watch"
Q: "What would you say separates alternative rock music videos from other music videos belonging to other genres?"
A: "I like them mainly because they have good stories behind them. A lot of music videos today in things such as pop music videos are all about boring subjects, whereas alternative rock videos often a have a deeper meaning to them that the audience has to figure out for themselves"
These results have proven very helpful as they have given me various ideas as to what to include in my own music video. Using a narrative that has a deeper and maybe symbolic meaning may also be a good idea as this may help me to create a music video that differs to those found in other genres such as pop, and instead create something that links it to alternative rock through the use of it's genre conventions. After this interview I feel as though including star image and a narrative to my video will be effective as Izzy feels that these are important aspects to include in alternative rock music videos. After this interview I also invited Izzy to play a part in my music video. I feel that she could play a good part in it as she is a former performing arts student and has experience in acting. As a fan of alternative rock she may also be better suited to playing a part in and understanding an alternative rock video in comparison to a person that doesn't enjoy the genre.


No comments:
Post a Comment